Since all the rackmount switches I have seen have a fan, and since this one had 3 fans, I would highly recommend maintaining positive airflow through the chassis. If the fan is too noisy, can you retrofit a quieter fan?

Steve Barner, South Burlington Schools

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/06/04 16:57 PM >>>
Dear Group,
I just acquired a sixteen port Bay Networks rack mount manageable
10/100 switch from Wincycle. I would like to put it into a classroom
but those fans, it has 3, are noisy. I have turned off 2 fans figuring
the environment is cooler in a classroom than on a hot closed rack. I
would love to turn off the third.Do you think I can get away with that.
I don't want to burn down the school. By the way Wincycle has more of
these switches as well as 24 port switches and lots of hubs as well. If
you are interested contact them.
David

This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family
Educational Rights and Privacy Act.  If this e-mail contains
student information and you are not entitled to access such
information under FERPA, federal regulations require that you
destroy this e-mail without reviewing it and you may not forward
it to anyone.