In a message dated 3/3/04 3:32:31 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>>But the chainsaw is not an appropriate tool for an eight year old, because
it could harm him or her. They are not developmentally ready for such a tool
- which is the point I am trying to make, albeit not very articulately.<<

First of all, I will assume you are not being literal here.  Neither of us is proposing arming 8-year-olds with chainsaws.  Further, I respecfully disagree about not being developmentally ready.  My five-year-old grandson, who is not yet in school, has been using a computer since a little past his second birthday.  It is up to us around him to make sure he is using it appropriately.  (By th way, I do remember being issued toy hammers and saws in nursery school back on the good ole State of Maine.  They waited until Kindergarten for the hunting rifles).

>>I don't understand why
we unquestioningly spend on computers and the simulated experience that they
provide, yet rarely consider spending on the real thing.)<<

If you can organize field trips to the Louvre, Rome, an operating theater, a rain forest, go ahead, and I envy your district.  Barre City kids e-mail their music compositions to professional musicians for their critique.  Besides, has any district out there down away with field trips in favor of simulations?

I repeat, whether using a pencil or a computer, teachers need to be there with best practices.

Tommy J. Walz
Technology Coordinator
Barre Supervisory Union
120 Ayers St.