On Mar 4, 2004, at 1:12 PM, Steve Barner wrote:

> I will select my learning style; you will use the teacher's favorite
> learning style.
>
> *Perhaps we have better teachers at my school.  They have mastered the
> ability to teach to multiple learning styles.

I'd not say "perhaps." Not only is there a large range of learning
style, teaching styles,
classroom styles, school styles ... there is a tendency to not imagine
that other
styles exist.

Yesterday I found a bizzare story on Netscape, and when I came to post
it here,
found that there was not one story but three separate stories --
teachers using
duct tape to control their students.  Some students go to highly
privileged school,
others are not so lucky.

+------------------------------------------------------------

Teacher who put duct tape on students' mouths suspended
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/030404_ap_ns_ducttape.html

March 4, 2004 The Du Quoin school board has announced a
third-grade teacher who put duct tape on two students'
mouths will be suspended for two days without pay.

The teacher taped two students' mouths on February 26th
to discipline them for excessive talking. Superintendent
Gary Kelly says the tape remained on their mouths for
about ten minutes.

+------------------------------------------------------------

US teacher resigns over student duct tape incident
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/04/1078295486041.html

March 4, 2004 - 10:06AM: A teacher resigned last month
after duct-taping a misbehaving 14-year-old to his desk
and covering his mouth with tape, the school
superintendent said today.

The parents of Tommy Brindley said the boy nearly
suffocated on February 19 before freeing himself about
15 minutes later at the elementary-middle school in
Oran, a town of about 1,000 residents 190 kilometres
south of St Louis.

+------------------------------------------------------------

Teacher Accused of Duct-Taping Students
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=817&ncid=757&e=10&u=/
ap/20040304/ap_on_fe_st/teacher_duct_tape

Thu Mar 4, 4:39 PM ET. COLUMBUS, Ohio - A high school
math teacher is accused of using duct tape and plastic
ties to restrain female students in his classroom.

Police Sgt. Sheila Wilson said Robert Martin, 25,
admitted he bound the girls' hands with plastic ties and
covered their mouths with duct tape in three incidents
in May, September and October. Two of the girls were 15
and the other was 17.