DId you check for popliteal artery entrapment?

-----Original Message-----
From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Eric
Tyler
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 2:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Exercise testing

Hi All,
      I have a question relating to arterial treadmill testing.
Today I completed an arterial study on a 38 y.o. female who complains of
foot and calf pain with exercise.  I questioned whether her symptoms are
vascular in nature as they were not consistent and she has no risk factors.
Her resting ABI's were (R)1.28 and (L)1.22.   She exercised on the treadmill
for 5 minutes, 10% grade at 2.5 MPH. She began to have calf pain at about 2
1/2 minutes into the study.  Her first post exercise ABI's were (R).89,
(L).84.  They returned to resting pressures after about 5 minutes.  Her
pressures were never even close to being poor, 123 mmHg was the lowest. She
had the same test in 2000 with very similar results.   I have read that a
pressure of 60 mmHg or less is usually required before arterial
insufficiency is considered the root of the evil for causing pain.  The
patient is also a staff member here.  The Dr's here are also fairly
convinced her pain is not arterial related.  My question is for what reasons
can the index drop post exercise other than PVD, aortic coarctation, and
such.  Any ideas are greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Eric

****CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE****
This e-mail is the property of The Methodist Hospital and/or its relevant affiliates and may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender and delete all copies of the message.  Thank you.