-----Original Message-----
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Deborah Clark
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 11:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MEDLIB-L] NBC's Medical Research Story- Report Responds

Hi All, I e-mailed George Lewis, the NBC reporter who did the story on
Medical Research Companies. Here is his response:

"I'm the reporter who did the story about for-pay medical research services.
I agree with you that we gave short shrift to the medical libraries that
provide this information free of charge.  We're thinking about revisiting
the topic and focusing on them.

What the research firm "Doctor Evidence" says it does for a fee is uses
medical librarians as researchers to pull relevant articles and then a
physician evaluates the research to determine what are the latest and most
reliable studies covering patients' medical problems.  The doctor who runs
the service consults with patients before the company does the search and
later advises the patient on what the research suggests is the best course
of action.

That latter analysis is, I believe, what separates the paid services from
the free information that's available.  We should have made that clearer in
our reporting, and will try to rectify the error in the future.

Yours very truly,

George Lewis
NBC News Burbank"

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this transmittal is
legally privileged and confidential information intended only for use of the
individual or entity named above.  It may also be protected by federal or
state confidentiality laws.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or actions taken
on the contents of the telecopy  are strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this in error, please notify us immediately by telephone to arrange
for the return of the original document.  Thank you.

Deborah A. Clark, Librarian
Stephens Memorial Hospital
181 Main St.
Norway, ME 04268