At 01:58 PM 3/4/04, K2 wrote:

>No I've never used empirical evidence, and I won't start now, but just use
>your common sense!  High speed lifts increase the number of skiers on
>the trails.  Not only that, but the increased traffice means that the soft top
>gets skied off sooner, exposing the ice below earlier in the day.

W-a-a-a-y-ell... let's clarify this a bit.  If a ski resort were to replace
an old double with a modern high-speed lift, not do any work to the trail
network AND assuming that lift was indeed carrying more people than did the
oldie, then yes, you're correct.

However, a significant number of lift installations have been associated
with trail expansions/widenings/additions.  So in these cases you're not
comparing apples 'n' apples.

Case in point: I remember all kindsa howls when Killington replaced the
K-chair with the K1.  This occured a few years after the Skyeship lift was
installed; it terminated at Skye Peak instead of Killington Peak.  Given
that the K chair carried around 1300 skiers per hour and, if memory serves,
the old gondie carried around 1800, the net arrival at Kpeak was around
3100, assuming all carriers loaded.  IIRC the K1 in current config carries
around 3000 - actually a slight DECREASE in density.