I'll through my 2 cents in.   And this is just a business.

We live in a country that has for the past 20 to 30 years been steadily losing all it's industry.  Be it overseas or just gone completely.  We are steadily losing the US OWNED industry.  The Northeast (especially NEW ENGLAND) was at one point the manufacturing/industrial leader of the country if not the world at one time.  What major new industry has come into the New England Market, not much if any, most are leaving for the South, Way South (Mexico), or China (the PRC, mainland COMMUNIST China), etc.  For New industry New England is considered HOSTILE, Vermont Laughable.

That being said...   What is Vermont's prime industry?  Anyone, Anyone   Yep, You guessed it TOURISM.  Now, yes Act 60, Act 68 is a great Idea, but in essence it huts the one industry that brings many DOLLARS to the State, and jobs.  Yes, there are a lot of people with second homes in the ski towns, but without them, could the ski industry survive???  The Ski Industry, especially the Ski resorts are a large source of income for the state and towns.  But, it is an industry that is very level (flat), or losing market share.  Now, most people who say that they ski, ski once/twice a year, or have skied once/twice in the last 5 to 10 years (yes, snowboarding/shape skis helped).  Now look at it this way, you increase the taxes in the ski towns in VT, the home owners sell, go to NY, NH, Maine, the Ski town dies a slow death.  But, look at the bigger picture, if the casual skier (once twice a year) goes SOME WHERE Else for that ski trip, does that help or hurt the industry.  This is a big problem, so you raise taxes, some one who could afford a home in a ski town, has grown children having children of their own, they don't use the house for a while, are the Parents, who may be retired going to keep the home???  or sell it because the taxes are high, maybe the kids will take theirs up to the house once a year, but they can always rent, etc...

What I guess I'm saying is maybe What the town council is trying to do is just show how unfair the tax laws are, This also happens in areas that have colleges in VT.  With no industry coming in/ no new jobs, Does Vermont become a third world economy, or then does the federal government have to bail the state out

Just my thoughts, and I'm rambling.