First, I want to thank Margaret Bandy for her thoughtful comments and
explanation of the work of the MLA Liaison to the JCAHO.

I do want to add something to her posting.  Margaret said:

"Unfortunately, I don't think we can hope that MLA, NLM, JCAHO, RRC,
ACGME, ACCME, or any other group, can save hospital libraries.  Only we
can do that with the support of our primary constituents: physicians, risk
managers, safety officers, quality managers, and other clinical staff."

For over ten years, hospital library leaders like Rya Ben-Shir have said
that we must serve the business side of our hospitals.  I truly believe
that at Christiana Care, our primary library constituents include the CEO,
the vice-presidents, and other business managers.  We look for
opportunities to partner with our business people.  We've probably had the
most success with the Human Relations staff, helping them develop programs
and teach classes for managers and secretaries.  Our current endeavor is
to support the continuing education of our physician-leaders in
administration topics.

I don't know if that will save our libraries, but it can't hurt!

Diane

Diane Wolf
Associate Director, Medical Libraries
Wilmington Hospital Library