Good morning,

A nurse in our cardiology lab nurse claims that prior state DOH surveyors told her that the American College of Cardiology outlined the following criteria for a cardiac catheterization to be considered "normal:"

1. No evidence of coronary artery disease/stenosis
2. No evidence of valvular disease
3. Ejection fraction > 50%

The RN says that they used to consider a result normal even with a small degree of stenosis, say 25%. I can find no documentation of either ACC or AHA defining a normal cath result. I've searched the scientific statements/practice guidelines on each respective site.

Is anyone familiar with a formal definition of a normal cath result, or have any idea where else I could look?

Much thanks,          Marcy

Marcy Brown MLS, AHIP
Forbes Regional Hospital
Monroeville PA

the West Penn Allegheny Health System Help Desk at 412-330-4357.

www.mimesweeper.com