From: Ziegler, Judy [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 7:38 AM
To: Bandy, Margaret; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: JCAHO survey-sad news

 Our four hospitals were surveyed by JCAHO over the last two months with the new 2004 standards. Sad to say, there was zero interest in any of our Libraries. I was not asked to participate in any I.S. metings prior to the inspection, nor during the inspection as in previous years. It is only the fact that we are teaching hospitals that we get our financial support. What non-teaching hospitals will do in the future with this kind of attitude is sad, without support from any regulatory agencies.
  I read the MLA program for this May, and as I recall, one of the meetings, of which we can advance a considerable sum of money to take, is how to meet the new standards. I am wondering as Liason to JCAHO, what steps are being taken to advocate for us. I suggest that funds from MLA, which by now must be considerable considering our dues and what our courses cost, is to hire a P.R. agency and Lobbyists, to advocate for legislation, studies and the like, to support us in our cause. If we do not do it, no one will.Today I learned of another Librarian who has lost her postiion, and the institution is essentially, closing their Library. To coin a phrase from FEDEX-- unless we do somthing "we're doomed" The largest section in MLA is the Hospital section. We deserve better.

Judith  Ziegler, Library Director
Crozer-Chester Medical Center
One Medical Center Blve.
Upland, PA 19013