Mr. Hill seems to forget that technology is a tool, not an end in itself.
We too can scan in articles for ILL, but that takes time, and not every
member of the staff knows how to do so (including me).  We tend to send
items the fastest way, whether electronic or fax.  Like many libraries, we
do not have a color scanner, although we do have a color printer, and will
print out articles in color, if they are in PDF format, and if the library
requests it.  Of course, there was the case of the library that requested
color, which we sent, in color, in PDF format.  However, the library printed
it on black and white printer and asked us why it was not in color!!!

It also surprises me that Mr. Hill and/or his staff have the time to check
each library to see whether that library does EDD.  I hope they check each
time they receive an ILL, since they ability to do EDD changes on a daily
basis.  I do not see that "fairness" is an issue here.  It seems that he has
decided that his way is best, and that all others should conform to it,
despite the fact that his way is nonstandard.  Also, unless he fills all
ILLs at not cost, he is losing the money each time he rejects an ILL because
the library does not provide EDD.  Or, is money not an issue?

Ellen Rothbaum, MS, AHIP
Assistant Director
Daniel Carroll Payson Medical Library
North Shore University Hospital
300 Community Drive
Manhasset, NY 11030
Tel:  (516) 562-4324
Fax:  (516) 562-2865

        "Hill, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Discussion list for registered DOCLINE users."

03/30/2004 03:06 PM
Please respond to "Hill, Thomas"