Weathersfield currently uses NEMRC, and just went through a major overhaul
of the chart of accounts and other standards.

In previous incarnations I've also been in towns which used alternative
systems, such as GEMINI, a municipal account software system out of Maine.

On a cost factor basis, NEMRC has turned out to be more cost effective and
more applicable to the size and complexity needed by most Vermont towns
[the other systems tended to be written for large municipalities - in the
50,000 and up population range and were overly complex for Vermont].  The
other majors also have significantly higher annual licensing fees, support
costs, etc..

NEMRC does provide very responsive support, however the documentation on
the system is still rather barebones [problems are solved by calling NEMRC
rather than looking in the manual - which doesn't exist].  Computer
expertise is not a requirement, as a person can be trained simply to use
the software as is.  However, some background improves the effectiveness.

At present time I would recommend NEMRC as being the best of the available
options.  Whether this changes in the future would be a guesstimate.

At 08:46 AM 4/15/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>The Town of Underhill is researching municipal accounting software.  Would
>anyone be willing to share their experiences and/or reccommendations
>regarding the accounting software their town is currently using?
>
>Specific issues of concern are whether or not there is technical support
>or a manual available, the cost involved, training commitment, "user
>friendly" (?)....., computer expertise background required.... and any
>other comments that may apply.
>
>We would appreciate any comments or suggestions.  Thank you.  Joan, Town
>Treasurer

Larry J. Melen, Weathersfield Town Manager
Telephone: [802] 674-2626
Fascimile: [802] 674-2117
Website: http://www.weathersfield.org

NOTICE:

THIS TRANSMITTAL IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF AND BY THE INDIVIDUAL OR
ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED.  IT MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS
PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, OR EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.

IF THE READER OF THIS TRANSMITTAL IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OR THE
EMPLOYEE OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING THE TRANSMITTAL TO THE
INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION,
DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THIS OFFICE
IMMEDIATELY.