Hi,
Mount Holly School has a computer lab in every classroom, sort of, 18
iBooks travel the school in a cart populated with enough chargers for
all so that they get plugged in as soon as they have been used. (it is
some sort of horizontal filing cabinet with vertical slots and I jammed
all the chargers in the back and have the cords hanging just in the
right place for the machines at rest) 15 of these are the old clamshell
units and we just replaced the batteries after three full years of use.
3 are white ones, due to their age all are running 802.11b cards so we
have 8 original airport basestations in the building for full coverage.
We needed overlap due to the lower saturation point of 802.11b which
begins to lag with over five or six machines on at the same time. If
you are starting now go .11g it will support many more units and allow
for more robust LAN data transfers (web access is no sweat as your
telecomm speeds can't keep up with 11.b anyway). If you are saddled
with less intelligent PC laptops (hopefully not Centrinos stuck at
11.b)  get 11.g PC-cards, once they are set up they should work very
nearly as well as Macs (only in reference to the connectivity of
course). I am not as prejudiced about the access points, there are very
good and less expensive units than the Apple Extreme, however I opted
to continue to spend more on the airports as you can configure every
one in the building from one screen simplifying naming, IP addressing
and any other administration. DLink, Linksys etc have entry level dual
band units for as little as $79. up to just a little over $100. If you
do spend between $250. and $400. you can get bona fide workgroup access
points that will support 50 users handsomely. Tip, in a multi-access
point environment you may want to manually address all the laptops so
there is no DHCP confusion as they move about the building and it takes
some network load off when there are 15 laptops booting up
simultaneously. HUGE POINT, an access point can be mounted to a cart
and anywhere there is a network jack there can be a computer lab! They
work great, you'll love them.
Good luck,
Ed