(This is being posted to multiple lists; please pardon the duplication. )

Lots of Copies Keep Stuff Safe (LOCKSS) : A Solution for Archiving and
Accessing Web Materials

ALA Annual, Orlando
Date: Saturday, June 26, 2004
Time: 1:30-3:30 p.m.
Location: Renaissance Orlando Resort, Crystal Ballroom E

Librarians have always been concerned with ensuring permanent access to our
collections.  We know that easy access to information often depends on
redundancy – i.e., “lots of copies.”  The shift to electronic materials
that are often leased rather than owned has increased our concerns about
long-term access.

A new system called LOCKSS enables libraries to collect and locally store,
preserve, and archive authorized content by creating low-cost, persistent
digital caches of authoritative versions of web-based content.  Through
LOCKSS, librarians have the opportunity to retain local control of
electronic content while preserving its original functionality.  More
information about LOCKSS can be found at: http://www.lockss.org.

This program, co-sponsored by the ALCTS Serials Section Education Committee
and the LITA Open Source Systems Interest Group, will present an overview
of LOCKSS, including its philosophy, technology, and current
development.  The program will explain why LOCKSS is so important, what it
can do for libraries, and how libraries can participate.  The featured
speaker will be Thomas Robertson, Technical Manager, LOCKSS Program,
Stanford University Libraries and Academic Resources.  He will be followed
by two panelists, Martin Halbert (Director for Library Systems, Emory
University) and Thomas Izbicki (Collection Development Coordinator, Johns
Hopkins University).  Jeffrey Horrell (Associate Librarian of Harvard
College Collections, Harvard University) will serve as moderator.

We hope that librarians who work in collection development,
serials/acquisitions, metadata and digital resources, preservation,
systems, or library administration, as well as publishers and information
vendors--really, anyone interested in long-term access to electronic
resources--will be able to attend.

Dajin Sun,  ALCTS SS Education Committee chair
Catalog Management Librarian
Sterling Memorial Library, Yale University
New Haven, CT 06520-8240