On Apr 27, 2004, at 8:51 AM, Marc Guido wrote:

>> bonus
>> points for the yanks: who *was* Tim Horton,
>
> Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman.
>
>> and where is he now?
>
> Six feet under.

On February 20, 1974, Buffalo was visiting Toronto, hoping to steal two
points and help gain enough momentum to propel the team towards a
playoff spot. Horton played his typical game, and although the Sabres
lost 4-2, Tim was named the game's third star.

  "He was hurting too bad to play a regular shift in the third period,"
recalled Sabre coach Punch Imlach. "We faded without him and lost the
game to the Leafs. After the game, he and I took a little walk up
Church Street and had what was our last talk. He was down in the dumps
because he didn't like to miss a shift and he felt he had cost us the
game. I got on the bus with the team. Tim drove the cursed car back to
Buffalo. He didn't make it." On his way back to Buffalo via the Queen
Elizabeth Way (QEW) near St Catherines at 4:30 the morning of February
21, 1974, after consuming alcohol and painkillers, Horton lost control
of his speeding car, rolling it several times. Tim Horton was killed
instantly.

Tim Horton had been given the fated car as a signing bonus from the
Buffalo Sabres when he agreed to come out of retirement for one last
season in order to support Tim Horton Ltd., which, at the time, was but
a cash-strapped enterprise. The donut chain Tim Hortons continues to
bear his name although none of the wealth belongs to the Horton
family.  Horton's wife sold their share for 1 million dollars a year
after his death.

Ron Joyce was sole owner until he merged the Tim Hortons company with
his Fort Lauderdale neighbour, Dave Thomas of Wendy's.