As Joe Schwartz' brother remarked, torture is automatically used when
an occupying force faces a general popular resistance,
however,
this did not occur when the german soldiers were occupying France. They
killed the resistance fighters straight, even if they had broken some
of the supposed "rules", like escaping from prison and would have very
valuable information to provide. I lost a family member in these
circumstances.
The difference, my friends between Germans occupying France and
US-Brittain occupying Irak, is that Irak is third-world, is a (former,
still to be again) colony. Among people of european descent, you don't
do that, torture, that is.    But "you" do it when you face the
Algerian FLN and "you" are French.       You teach it for Central
America's power elite to use against its own despicable natives.
The Germans did not torture "real" French partisans.  But they
certainly were beastly to those that they downgraded from the status of
"straight white European", the jews, roma, queers of all sorts...
You always were allowed to mistreat the "infidels", from Salem to
Saigon.
Amerikkka, daughter of Europe, is racist by color, aspect and creed.

If these thoughts make any sense, it will be interesting to watch how
the Turks will never succeed in joining the European Union...
Maurice

Doug wrote:
I think the torture was ordered from the top and is deliberate US
policy.  The thing that is a bit surprising is that they did not get
Iraqi surrigates to carry out their dirty deeds.  If they had, it would
have been more in keeping with practice in, for example, Central
America.

Maurice Bazin
Rua Pau de Canela 1001
Campeche/Florianópolis
88063-505 Brasil
Tel:  55 48 237 3140
Fax:  55 48 338 2686 (pode precisar avisar / may need oral warning)