Friends, old timers and recent persons,
I like Phil Gasper's postings because he finds things that interest me
for me! That is what belonging to a List does for me.  It is a List of
people whom I do trust for their judgment and political attitude and
actions. The delete key is easy enough to use if things are not now
interesting to me.
I like things that are not academic, news from Mexico or Africa..   I
cannot say here "from Brazil" because I am the one who sends them...
Each of us has a non-small ego and wishes that he/she would get
comments and answers to his/her postings.  But I for one read many of
the postings with great interest but feel no need to "reply". This is
not a visibility-giving List.
We have less nuts now than in the days of John Landon...  Hope he does
not respond!

Hugs to all,   Maurice

Maurice Bazin
Rua Pau de Canela 1001
Campeche/Florianópolis
88063-505 Brasil
Tel:  55 48 237 3140
Fax:  55 48 338 2686 (pode precisar avisar / may need oral warning)
On May 10, 2004, at 5:34 PM, Phil Gasper wrote:

> As a non-scientist I would not ordinarily (except when I have
> questions)
> respond to scientific posts, but it is for those posts (when they do
> appear) that I subscribe to the list. I don't remember the
> feminist-baiting posts (I probably just deleted and forgot them), and I
> don't now remember responses to them -- but probably I would simply
> have
> appreciated such responses rather than adding to the thread. I would
> like to check out the archives on this. When did that exchange take
> place?

The only thing fitting this description that I recall was at the
beginning of February, and Claudia Hemphill and I both responded.
It's archived here:
http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A1=ind0402&L=science-for-the-people.

> I agree that there are probably too many mere fwds of news articles.

I probably send more to this list than anybody else, but this is not
a high-volume list--fewer than two messages a day (from everyone) on
average. My criterion for posting articles is whether they deal with
issues that would have been discussed in the magazine. If they spark
a response, which they occasionally do, so much the better. Of course
some people may have seen some of the stuff before and others won't
be interested--that's what the delete key is for. I find it handy to
have everything archived in one place, but if a significant number of
people find it irritating and don't want to filter me out, I will be
more selective.

--PG