http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/sunday/commentary/la-op-ehrenreich16may16,1,2584958.story

PRISON ABUSE

Feminism's Assumptions Upended

A uterus is not a substitute for a conscience.
Giving women positions of power won't change
society by itself.

By Barbara Ehrenreich

Barbara Ehrenreich is the author, most recently,
of "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in
America."

May 16, 2004

KEY WEST, Fla. - Even those people we might have
thought were impervious to shame, like the
secretary of Defense, admit that the photos of
abuse in Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison turned their
stomachs.

The photos did something else to me, as a
feminist: They broke my heart. I had no illusions
about the U.S. mission in Iraq - whatever exactly
it is - but it turns out that I did have some
illusions about women.

Of the seven U.S. soldiers now charged with
sickening forms of abuse in Abu Ghraib, three are
women: Spc. Megan Ambuhl, Pfc. Lynndie England
and Spc. Sabrina Harman.

It was Harman we saw smiling an impish little
smile and giving the thumbs-up sign from behind a
pile of hooded, naked Iraqi men - as if to say,
"Hi Mom, here I am in Abu Ghraib!" It was England
we saw with a naked Iraqi man on a leash. If you
were doing PR for Al Qaeda, you couldn't have
staged a better picture to galvanize misogynist
Islamic fundamentalists around the world.

Here, in these photos from Abu Ghraib, you have
everything that the Islamic fundamentalists
believe characterizes Western culture, all nicely
arranged in one hideous image - imperial
arrogance, sexual depravity Š and gender equality.

Maybe I shouldn't have been so shocked. We know
that good people can do terrible things under the
right circumstances. This is what psychologist
Stanley Milgram found in his famous experiments
in the 1960s. In all likelihood, Ambuhl, England
and Harman are not congenitally evil people. They
are working-class women who wanted an education
and knew that the military could be a
steppingstone in that direction. Once they had
joined, they wanted to fit in.

And I also shouldn't be surprised because I never
believed that women were innately gentler and
less aggressive than men. Like most feminists, I
have supported full opportunity for women within
the military - 1) because I knew women could
fight, and 2) because the military is one of the
few options around for low-income young people.

Although I opposed the 1991 Persian Gulf War, I
was proud of our servicewomen and delighted that
their presence irked their Saudi hosts. Secretly,
I hoped that the presence of women would over
time change the military, making it more
respectful of other people and cultures, more
capable of genuine peacekeeping. That's what I
thought, but I don't think that anymore.

A certain kind of feminism, or perhaps I should
say a certain kind of feminist naiveté, died in
Abu Ghraib. It was a feminism that saw men as the
perpetual perpetrators, women as the perpetual
victims and male sexual violence against women as
the root of all injustice. Rape has repeatedly
been an instrument of war and, to some feminists,
it was beginning to look as if war was an
extension of rape. There seemed to be at least
some evidence that male sexual sadism was
connected to our species' tragic propensity for
violence. That was before we had seen female
sexual sadism in action.

But it's not just the theory of this naive
feminism that was wrong. So was its strategy and
vision for change. That strategy and vision
rested on the assumption, implicit or stated
outright, that women were morally superior to
men. We had a lot of debates over whether it was
biology or conditioning that gave women the moral
edge - or simply the experience of being a woman
in a sexist culture. But the assumption of
superiority, or at least a lesser inclination
toward cruelty and violence, was more or less
beyond debate. After all, women do most of the
caring work in our culture, and in polls are
consistently less inclined toward war than men.

I'm not the only one wrestling with that
assumption today. Mary Jo Melone, a columnist for
the St. Petersburg (Fla.) Times, wrote on May 7:
"I can't get that picture of England [pointing at
a hooded Iraqi man's genitals] out of my head
because this is not how women are expected to
behave. Feminism taught me 30 years ago that not
only had women gotten a raw deal from men, we
were morally superior to them."

If that assumption had been accurate, then all we
would have had to do to make the world a better
place - kinder, less violent, more just - would
have been to assimilate into what had been, for
so many centuries, the world of men. We would
fight so that women could become the generals,
CEOs, senators, professors and opinion-makers -
and that was really the only fight we had to
undertake. Because once they gained power and
authority, once they had achieved a critical mass
within the institutions of society, women would
naturally work for change. That's what we
thought, even if we thought it unconsciously -
and it's just not true. Women can do the
unthinkable.

You can't even argue, in the case of Abu Ghraib,
that the problem was that there just weren't
enough women in the military hierarchy to stop
the abuses. The prison was directed by a woman,
Gen. Janis Karpinski. The top U.S. intelligence
officer in Iraq, who also was responsible for
reviewing the status of detainees before their
release, was Major Gen. Barbara Fast. And the
U.S. official ultimately responsible for managing
the occupation of Iraq since October was
Condoleezza Rice. Like Donald H. Rumsfeld, she
ignored repeated reports of abuse and torture
until the undeniable photographic evidence
emerged.

What we have learned from Abu Ghraib, once and
for all, is that a uterus is not a substitute for
a conscience. This doesn't mean gender equality
isn't worth fighting for for its own sake. It is.
If we believe in democracy, then we believe in a
woman's right to do and achieve whatever men can
do and achieve, even the bad things. It's just
that gender equality cannot, all alone, bring
about a just and peaceful world.

In fact, we have to realize, in all humility,
that the kind of feminism based on an assumption
of female moral superiority is not only naive; it
also is a lazy and self-indulgent form of
feminism. Self-indulgent because it assumes that
a victory for a woman - a promotion, a college
degree, the right to serve alongside men in the
military - is by its very nature a victory for
all of humanity. And lazy because it assumes that
we have only one struggle - the struggle for
gender equality - when in fact we have many more.

The struggles for peace and social justice and
against imperialist and racist arrogance, cannot,
I am truly sorry to say, be folded into the
struggle for gender equality.

What we need is a tough new kind of feminism with
no illusions. Women do not change institutions
simply by assimilating into them, only by
consciously deciding to fight for change. We need
a feminism that teaches a woman to say no - not
just to the date rapist or overly insistent
boyfriend but, when necessary, to the military or
corporate hierarchy within which she finds
herself.

In short, we need a kind of feminism that aims
not just to assimilate into the institutions that
men have created over the centuries, but to
infiltrate and subvert them.

To cite an old, and far from naive, feminist
saying: "If you think equality is the goal, your
standards are too low." It is not enough to be
equal to men, when the men are acting like
beasts. It is not enough to assimilate. We need
to create a world worth assimilating into.