    Every year on Mother's Day we count the bird species that we can see or hear form our backyard here in Shoreham.  Mother's Day came a little early this year, but the holiday usually represents the peak of spring migration where we live.This year we got 32 species, which is about average.  Many "easy" birds that we have already seen this spring did not make the roll call - see below.
    We saw or heard the following species: Ruby-Throated Hummingbird *, Tree Swallow, House Sparrow, White-Crowned Sparrow, White Breasted Nuthatch, Chickadee, Goldfinch, Baltimore Oriole *, Northern Raven, Blue Jay, Cardinal, Chipping Sparrow, Cowbird, Rock Pigeon, Tufted Titmouse, Downy Woodpecker, Mourning Dove, House Wren, Canada Goose, Song Sparrow, Eastern Phoebe, Ovenbird *, Common Grackle, Catbird, Wood Thrush, Great-Crested Flycatcher, Yellow Warbler *, Crow, American Robin, Rose-Breasted Grosbeak *, and Hairy Woodpecker.
    Common birds that we have already seen this spring but missed during our count include Mallards, GBH's, Empid Flycatchers, White-Throated Sparrows, Common Yellowthroats, and no raptors or Turkey Vultures.
    All in all, a pretty good day of backyard birding.
        Larry and Mona

(* indicates a bird that we had not seen earlier this year.)