Man, that sounds complicated - and I'm a geek.

I've been running Win2k, using Mozilla for email and browsing.  Got NAV
setup with liveupdate downloading virus definitions in the background.
Automatic windows updater notifies me when there's a patch available.

And I've got a home firewall (Used to be a Linksys, then something else,
now a NetworkingEverywhere something-or-other.)  Haven't had to
flash/patch/update anything, except when lightning strikes broke 'em.

I haven't had a virus get onto my machine (and not get caught by NAV)
since I set it up.  I haven't had a popup in 2 years.  I've never had a
piece of spyware.

My laptops have similar configs, but use Outlook proper (ie. not
express) and whatever antivirus software my employer uses.  Again,
haven't had a virus or spyware yet. Google's toolbar blocks the popups
when I use IE.

My daily routine:
1. boot PC
2. start working/emailing/browsing.

Why spend so much time when you don't have to?