--- Evan Osler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Incidentally, Virginia (and not Vermont) is the only
> state in the Union,
> and the Confederacy as well, where I have come
> across people carrying
> hunting rifles on designated hiking trails.

You haven't been to Alaska, huh?  Neither have I, nor
did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I
do know that people often travel with rifles up there.

One of my cabinmates at Peggy O', warned that with the
(proposed, in some cases) reintroduction of animals
such as mountian lions and other
high-on-the-food-chain predators, people will once
again have to travel armed.  If you have ever camped
in the 'Dacks, you are no doubt aware that the
squirrels and bears cooperate on search & destroy
missions targeted at your hung food.  Imagine how bad
it will be if and when the other predators join in on
the effort.

--Matt K.