On Tue, 11 May 2004 08:56:06 -0700, Matthew Kulas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>--- Evan Osler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Incidentally, Virginia (and not Vermont) is the only
>> state in the Union,
>> and the Confederacy as well, where I have come
>> across people carrying
>> hunting rifles on designated hiking trails.
>
>You haven't been to Alaska, huh?  Neither have I, nor
>did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I
>do know that people often travel with rifles up there.

Well, Alaska didn't technically become a state until 1958, and from the
number of Confederate flags clearly visible in the general region, my hike
in Virginia actually took place in 1864.

>If you have ever camped
>in the 'Dacks, you are no doubt aware that the
>squirrels and bears cooperate on search & destroy
>missions targeted at your hung food.  Imagine how bad
>it will be if and when the other predators join in on
>the effort.

So true. Camping on Lake COlden, I once awoke to a giant raccoon literally
sniffing my head. Bold little dratsabs. No more Pert Plus for me.

-Evan