On Wed, 12 May 2004 08:52:16 -0400, Geoff Devine <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>The result of all of this is that the people stayed away.  You can judge
>the amount of skiers at Killington on a Saturday by looking at the Access
>Road and the Bear parking lot.  In January & February, there were only two
>days where cars were parked on the Access Road and the Bear lot only filled
>for Mogul Challenge weekend.  I'd guess that skier visits must have been
>off by a good 20%.  If you don't put out a quality product, the people go
>elsewhere.  People used to flock to Killington in lean snow years because
>of the snowmaking.  Open in October.  Open on June 1.  Good cover on all
>trails with frequent resurfacing.  All that marketing good will is down the
>tubes.

I think if they reduced the lift ticket price by 20% then they could get
that 20% business back that they lost. If they have the ability to do high
volume, they should be able to reduce the price to bring more people there.
The key is getting people there, and people have learned about marketing
hype and don't pay much attention to it anymore. They realize that they can
get a great skiing experience at other resorts for $10-20 less per day, and
with a family, that adds up quick. If they can attract people for a lower
lift ticket price, they can do the volume, plus, once people are there,
they spend $ on other things.

Also, I think the last few years of poor customer service (due to
disgruntled and underpaid workers) has driven people away. This may account
for some of that loss.

I think overall many of the Vermont ski areas this year didn't do as well
because of lack of snow, especially the ones who depend on natural snow
such as MRG and Magic. Here in NY, most did very well, and we had plenty of
natural snow and great snowmaking temps. We had the snow, and, they offered
great deals on seasons passes as well as learn-to-ski/ride packages.

-Sh

-Sh