On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:07:55 -0400, Geoff Devine <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>ListAbused Sharon Heller writes::
>> > I think if they reduced the lift ticket price by 20% then they could
>> > get that 20% business back that they lost. If they have the ability
>> > to do high volume, they should be able to reduce the price to bring
>> > more people there.
>
>His Editorship quips:
>> Just like tax policy.
>
>I don't think it's that simple.  Killington markets their product to
>affluent people in metro-New York.  They're after the $100+/day yield per
>skier visit that major destination resorts see.  Cutting day ticket prices
>tends to only attract the brown-bagger crowd that doesn't spend money at
>the resort.
>
>* The resort gets a cut on lodging when people call in on their 800
>number.
>
>* The resort makes money on food and bar service in the base lodges.
>
>* The resort makes money on valet parking, rentals, lessons, and daycare.
>
>In the grand scheme of things, the price of a day ticket is a relatively
>small expense compared to transportation, lodging, meals, and apres-ski
>entertainment.  At $2.00/gallon, that trip from Yankee-lover land to Kmart
>in the eco-disaster SUV for the weekend is a couple hundred bucks once you
>factor in all the costs.  Lodging at the cheapest place (Mountain Sports
>Inn, for example) on the Access Road starts at $130/night during peak
>season.  If you cut $15 off day ticket prices, it would be lost in the
>noise for the kind of customers Killington is targeting.  A $60 discount on
>a $1000 weekend for two isn't going to increase skier visits.  The only way
>to increase skier visits is to improve the quality of the experience.
>Cheerful staff, great food, comfortable base lodges, excellent skiing
>surface, minimal liftlines, minimal trail crowding.  Killington
>rates "needs to improve" in all those categories.  One could actually argue
>that they need to increase prices on weekends or at least get rid of their
>bargian $1049 season pass deal to improve the experience to the point where
>they have the right product for their target market.

I think those people you are talking about are going to Okemo and Stratton
and Kton can't compete with that. These folks don't need "Outer Limits" and
they get much better service and slopeside lodging. I think that crowd you
speak of has found solace at a nearby neighbor. The die-hard skier, who
skis early and late season and wants a huge variety of terrain is usually
the 20-30 something. These are the ones who spend $ on drinks and such, and
I believe cutting the price will attract more of them.

-Sh