Marc Chrusch [[log in to unmask]] wrote:

>Denis wrote:
>>Those are places that I regard as too steep to skin.  It could be
done,
>>but what's the point?  When it becomes easier to walk up, I walk
up;...

>At about what angle does that occur?

For me it depends on terrain & conditions, but on the less-than-smooth &
grippy skinnin' become a B-itch somewhere just north of 20 degrees, but
if it's optimally grippy I've skinned straight up ~30 degree stuff. I
can imagine on firm but not rock-hard snow with good ski crampons 35+
degrees can still be reasonable.

But let's not ignore the terrain issue- in a tight chute or drainage it
becomes a function of dimishing of vertical per kick-turn returns,
whereas in open areas a longer climbing traverse can be had. In good
grip conditions (like I found at Tuckerman a few weeks ago) ascending
~40 degree stuff is possible using only _scales_, not skins (clearly not
goin' straight up.) But on hard snow the extra grip (both lateral and
forward) of ski crampons are a _huge_ advantage on traversing steeps-
easier than puttin' skis-on-pack to climb in (boot) crampons.

YMMD

dana

_____________ ________ __
__( Tele till you drop