Jonathan Shefftz [[log in to unmask]] writes:

> When I was exchanging e-mails years ago w/ our guide in preparation
for
>Cham, his *required* gear list included ski crampons.  Many American
skiers
>would be much better off if they paid the [admittedly super-high
mark-up
>margin] $40 for ski crampons, especially since so many who diss them
have
>never even used them and hence have no idea how they can transform
sketchy
>moments into secure approaches.

To be sure, I'd spring 40 'merican shekels for a ski crampon before I'd
spring that kind o' jack for a ski _brake_!

A question for all you Fritshi/Naxo/Silvretta crampon users:  When
you're using the highest touring heel stop, do all of the points still
engage the snow? It seems to be a weaker point of articulating ski
crampon designs, since often when you might need/want he crampon the
most (steeper stuff) you'd not be apply as much pressure on the crampon
and it gets a shallower bite.

True? Not true? Educate me!

While doin' a bit o' backchannel research for Denis on the subject I've
found a pretty-good picture of the Petzl Sk'alp in use with 7TMs here:

http://www.deuberhome.com/photohtmls/skiing/7tm/images/7tm.sm.1.jpg

a close-up version of the Sk'alp can be found here:

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/photos/Skalp-crampon.JPG

While its points aren't as deep, and it probably drags more than
articulating designs, it seems pretty bomber overall. (I worry a bit
about rippin' the front hinge on the Diamir from lateral stresses on the
bar in tour mode, stresses all too easy to accidentally achieve with a
crampon attached.)

Too bad the Sk'alp is only good to 72mm widths, but it wouldn't surprise
me if a wider version is under development.  If not, it wouldn't be
rocket-science to design & build one!

dana

_____________ ________ __
__( Tele till you drop