On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:59:35 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:11:08 -0400, Roger Klinger
><[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>In case Sharon or anyone else cares:
>>
>>BlackDiamond has the Fritschi Diamir Titanal 3 on sale for $199.  The
>>highest  DIN setting is 10(as opposed to 12 on the Freeride, but how many
>>of us really need a 12 setting?), but more importantly it weighs nearly a
>>pound less(13 oz. to be exact), and has a spring that keeps the ski closer
>>to your foot, making switchbacks easier.  Sounds like a better touring
>>binding.  Amy is buying one right now.
>>

>I am interested in these, however I am wondering if its worth $20 to go for
>the Freerides since I will be skiing all kinds of terrain, and will most
>likely be resort skiing for 90% of the time.
>
>Also, If I am a women's 8.5 or a men's 7 should I get the short or standard
>binding. What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Compared to the Diamir III, the Freeride version adds 4mm of lift, release
settings up to 12, and a slightly different (perhaps stronger?) toe unit
housing.  Weight and price comparisons are complicated by the Freerideís
standard inclusion of a safety brake but no leash (typically used only when
crevasse falls are a concern) and no return spring, which helps skinning
somewhat, and is available after-market for only several additional dollars
(a wise purchase).  When comparably equipped, the DFR is only about five
ounces heavier than the DIII.

By contrast, the brake is an additional purchase option for the DIII, but
the leash comes standard (along with a convenient attachment point at the
top of the toe unit).

Overall, if you donít need the DIN higher than 10, you really donít need
the DFR.  Iíve used a D2 with plug boots for lots of resort skiing,
including moguls, for many years, and never had any problems.  (Although I
weigh only 145, and donít get any air time.)

The general guideline is buy the shortest size that fits your boots.
Longer sizes only add weight, decrease the effective angle of the heel
elevator, and - most importantly - increase the bootís leverage on the
central rail and hence the chance of breaking/bending.

The specific answer in this case is that the minimum boot sole length is
280mm for the standard size, so you might not even fit in the standard size?