Another source of Ehrlich's classic "The Birder's Handbook" that might
be cheaper is to purchase the CD of "Thayer's Birding Software: Birds of
North America"; my 5 year old copy of Thayer includes "The Birder's
Handbook"  and I think only costs around $30. I believe it is now
published in conjunction with Cornell's Ornithology program. Bird songs,
video clips, the usual  list and range capabilities are all features of
the software. But in particular, the ease of having Ehrlich's book in
conjunction with the audio and visual ID are what I most enjoy.Good
luck! Nancy