I'm glad you found the Rusties. I was at a bog this spring in that area and they were as common as Red-wings in a cattail swamp of similar size. I went back later to look for confirmation, but they were gone.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chris Petrak<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 8:49 PM
  Subject: [VTBIRD] Recent sightings - Confirmations

  Last week in South Newfane, a neighbor called to tell me about nesting Yellow-billed Cuckoo in his yard. I hurried over and he showed me the nest with young while mom complained from a nearby tree. We left her along.

  Doing atlassing work in Somerset with my wife last week, we confirmed Rusty Blackbird, along with many other species.

  Tuesday this week with Susan James at Somerset, we heard Yellow-bellied Flycatcher calling on several occasions, plus a brief partial song from an Olive-sided Flycatcher - this by the "moose bog" beaver pond along Forest Road 71 about five miles south of Kelly Stand Road. Along with the Rusty, these were confirmed species in the first atlas. We also looked, without success, for Lincoln's Sparrow & Northern Waterthrush (both were there in the first atlas).

  Swainson's Thrush are common in those woods, and fledglings nearly fell into Susan's on a trip she made last weekend.

  Near the south end of Grout Pond, after finally finding and confirming Winter Wren, we were making further attempts to lure out our target species with audio recordings when a precocial Sora scampered across the muddy flats and disappeared in the grasses - a species not even observed during the first atlas.

  After two years, we also confirmed  Red-winged Blackbird and Robin - imagine that! - in the spruce forests they're harder to confirm than when they're nesting in a back yard.

  Not a bad day, considering we also had many close looks at Chestnut-sided, Canada, Magnolia, Redstart, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, Yellowthroat, and finished the day with Blackburnian in low branches feeding young - most of these were previously confirmed, but always a treat to observe up close.

  Chris Petrak