(Cleaning out my drafts and found this response to the
Glad thread from a couple of weeks ago)

I think that glades have a natural tendency to open
up, accelerated by skier traffic.

I heard of and then searched out a stand of old growth
forest in the White Mountains(pemi area) to see what
it was like. Big old trees, widely spaced with
relatively little undergrowth. Similar to many of the
open glades I've seem but with larger trees.

Virtually all of the New England forests were logged.
I think that the nice tight glades many of us like are
that way because they are new growth. As the protected
forest becomes old growth the glades will naturally
open up.

Steve