Chris Moran wrote:

>Quoting Steve Cavrak <[log in to unmask]>:
>

>>On Sep 23, 2004, at 4:00 PM, Ernie Buford wrote:
>>

>>>Could this drive be put in a desktop system in order to recover
>>>data from the drive without booting from it?
>>>

>>It's often possible to put them in an external drive ... e.g. firewire.
>>There are a number of "upgrade" kits that let you do this ... update
>>your computer and get a backup drive out of the deal.
>>

>Hahaha.. always with the complicated option.
>I'm sure you've already seen the easy option of using an adaptor.
>:)

  Yeah, I tried using an adapter.  Tried jumper settings for slave and
cable select,
   and tried the drive on both primary & secondary IDE ribbons.  But in
only one
   configuration was I able to get the system to boot off its own system
drive, and
   then the laptop drive was "not found" even though it was correctly
identified
   in IDE diagnostics.

   I believe this is Dell weirdness.  We have only Dell PCs, and my
"customer" has
   gone off to try a more generic PC somewhere else (where I suspect it will
   work).

 Ernest W. Buford
 Rubenstein School of Environment
   and Natural Resources