September 17, 2004

Iona Nips Vermont in Womenıs Soccer
Iona 1, Vermont 0
Box Score: http://www.uvm.edu/athletics/womens_soccer/091704.htm
September 17, 2004 * New Rochelle, N.Y.

NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. ­ Ionaıs Eleri Earnshaw (Rhyl, Wales) converted a free
kick from 18 yards out in the 76th minute to lift the Gales past Vermont,
1-0, in womenıs soccer.  The loss snapped Vermontıs five-game unbeaten
streak.

³We didnıt get the bounces today,² said Vermont head coach Kerry
Dziczkaniec.  ³We will regroup and put this game behind us and move on to
focus on our next game on Sunday.  I give credit to Iona, they battled
hard.²

Vermontıs Lindsay Carfagna (Moon Township, Pa.) made six saves in the
Catamount net.  Jessica Martin (Demarest, N.J.) posted seven stops to earn
the shutout for Iona (2-4-1).  The Catamounts owned a 13-11 advantage in
shots in the contest, including seven in the final 15 minutes of the game.

Vermont (4-2-1) returns to action on Sunday when it faces Fairfield in
Fairfield, Connecticut at 1:00pm.

Lisa Champagne
Assistant Director Athletic Communications
University of Vermont
226 Patrick Gym
Burlington, VT 05405
P: 802/656-1818