September 17, 2004

Iona Nips Vermont in Women’s Soccer
Iona 1, Vermont 0
Box Score: http://www.uvm.edu/athletics/womens_soccer/091704.htm
September 17, 2004 * New Rochelle, N.Y.

NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Iona’s Eleri Earnshaw (Rhyl, Wales) converted a free kick from 18 yards out in the 76th minute to lift the Gales past Vermont, 1-0, in women’s soccer.  The loss snapped Vermont’s five-game unbeaten streak.

“We didn’t get the bounces today,” said Vermont head coach Kerry Dziczkaniec.  “We will regroup and put this game behind us and move on to focus on our next game on Sunday.  I give credit to Iona, they battled hard.”

Vermont’s Lindsay Carfagna (Moon Township, Pa.) made six saves in the Catamount net.  Jessica Martin (Demarest, N.J.) posted seven stops to earn the shutout for Iona (2-4-1).  The Catamounts owned a 13-11 advantage in shots in the contest, including seven in the final 15 minutes of the game.

Vermont (4-2-1) returns to action on Sunday when it faces Fairfield in Fairfield, Connecticut at 1:00pm.

Lisa Champagne
Assistant Director Athletic Communications
University of Vermont
226 Patrick Gym
Burlington, VT 05405
P: 802/656-1818