Well, I seldom put out a note on VTBIRD, but today was so spectacular (and wet) that I just had to let people know.  Get out there and look in all the puddles.  Shorebirds were everywhere today.  The Fallout of birds from today's storm is by far the best I have ever seen.  Actually ran out of time.  There was so much water, and so many birds to be found that you just never knew what you'd find next.   Ted Murin also reported very heavy movement of shorebirds down the lake this afternoon.

Today, 17 species of shorebirds, and nearly 1500 individuals.  Highlights were ......get this......43 Hudsonian Godwits, 101 Golden Plovers, nearly 200 Semipalmated Plovers, and the list goes on.  Best bird was a Buff-breasted Sandpiper on Middle Road in Swanton, also viewed by Pat and Chris Pratt.

When the rain let up, many of the birds picked up and left, gently pursuaded by 2 Merlin and a Peregrine.  But as evening fell there were still plenty of birds around.  If a few more people got out tomorrow, no telling what they'd find.

VTBird won't accept an Excel attachment, so the best I can do is this.
1 Baird's Sandpiper, 1 Black-bellied Plover, 101 Golden Plovers, 19 Greater Yellowlegs, 43 Hudsonian Godwits, 137+ Killdeer,
582+ Least Sandpipers, 33 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper, 1 Ruddy Turnstone, 170+ Semipalmated Plovers,
254+ Semipalmated Sandpipers, 42 Short-billed Dowitchers, 3 Solitary Sandpipers, 43 White-rumped Sandpipers, 3 Wilson's
Snipe, and 1 Buff-breasted Sandpiper.

The birds were essentially at three locations:  Rte 2 Alburg just north of the village, plowed field on left, Middle Road in Swanton 1/2 mile north of Janes Road, plowed field on right, and Rte 36 St. Albans bay, flooded grassy field on left, 0.3 miles north of Lapan Road.

Dick Lavallee

Dottie Lavallee
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.