see http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm and
http://www.nad.org/openhouse/programs/LawCenter.html

Under Title I, II and III of the ADA, hospitals are
required, regardless of whether they have federal
financial assistance and are public or private, to
provide sign language interpreters. However, for
doctors in private practice, interpreters are not need
since writing on notes can suffice. Depending on which
lawyer's opinion is on. Hospitals' patient relations
office sometimes are at war with the business office
or the legal office over this.

Most hospitals in the D.C. area have contracts with
sign language interpreters agencies to provide sign
language interpreters. It might be expensive but
compare that to the ramps and brailled posts.
Washington, D.C. is home of Gallaudet University, a
deaf university.

Mike Yared