Being a Crispi lover myself...

Matthew Kulas wrote:

>At lunch today, I headed to a local shop and tried on several boots: a
>27.5 Garmont Gara, a 28 Crispi CXR, a 27.5 Crispi CXU and a 27.5 CXR.
>I was wearing a standard cashmere/wool blend, relatively thin sock
>made by Banana Republic (a tad thicker than a liner sock).

No more leather?!? :)

>1a) I assume the CXR is comparable to the T1, the CXU to the T-Race
>and the CXP to the T2.  Is this correct?

Yes, but....  As far as comparing models, that's probably the best
you'll get.  The fore-foot flex on a Crispi is incredibly smooth and
soft compared to a Scarpa.  As a point of comparison, I ski on CXR's
from a few years ago and love them; when I took some T1's out on demo, I
couldn't flex them at all.  Crispi is known for having a soft, even
forefoot flex (much more like leather) and a stiffer cuff flex.

>1b) What is Crispi's reputation.  Are there any models or production
>years to avoid?

Some people have had problems with the plastic Crispi uses (Pebax,
maybe?) cracking on hard landings in super-cold weather.  I skied both
my CXR's and my CX-4's in weather significantly below -10F on many days
with no problems.  Last year I was at Jay one day at -22F (3pm reading
at the top of the tram) and almost unable to flex the boots for my first
two runs.  Eventually it warmed up enough that I could make tele turns.

>2) The 28 CXRs fit nicely now, how will the fit once they have packed out?

My CXR's packed out a lot.  What felt comfortable in the beginning is
now too loose.  I wear an 8-8.5 street shoe (Adidas) or a ~40
(Birkenstock) and bought 26.5 Crispi's.  I would like to try on some
26's to see how they feel.  I don't remember if 26/26.5 share the same
shell or if 26.5/27 share the same shell.

>3a) Crispi doesn't make a Termofit liner, if I were going to get a
>Garmont, Scarpa or Raichle thermofit liner to use in a Crispi, should
>I use the 27.5 shell?

I fit a G-fit liner in my 26.5's.  I bought either a 26.5 (probably) or
a 27(possibly) liner.  After a full season, the liners packed out enough
so that it's a little loose again. Supposedly the newest Crispi liner is
a thermofit - though I have found no evidence that their advertising is
correct in this regard. (Same with the 3-position forward lean..)

>3ai) Which is the same as a 27 shell--dropping down one size for
>thermofit is recommended, correct?
>
>3b) What brand thermofit liner would work best in this scenario?

Dunno.  My G-fits are OK, but I think I'd like something more bulky &
with a wrap-around tongue.

>Thanks for any and all advice.

No problem.