From: Clean Air-Cool Planet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 3:50 PM
To: Debra Sachs
Subject: A Bit of Inspiration from CA-CP and Green House Network

<http://rs6.net/on.jsp?t=1011358217097.0.1010993815762.238&o=http://ccpr
od.roving.com/roving/images/p1x1.gif>

 <http://www.cleanair-coolplanet.org/newsletter/images/email_banner.gif>

  _____

Clean Air-Cool Planet is the Northeast's leading nonprofit organization
dedicated to finding and promoting solutions to global warming.

  _____

Keep on Making Me Care!

For the third consecutive summer, climate activists from around the
country gathered to spend a weekend on Boston's beautiful Thompson
Island, getting down to the nitty-gritty details of one burning
question: HOW can we effectively advocate and organize for responsible
energy and climate policies?

 Group on boat
photo<http://www.cleanair-coolplanet.org/images/ti_group_boat.jpg>
Global warming activists, all fired up

These attendees of the 2004 Global Warming Speaking and Organizing
Training-jointly hosted by Green House Network, Clean Air-Cool Planet,
and Massachusetts Climate Action Network-dove into consideration of said
question with the same collaborative fervor and creativity that TI
"alumni" have demonstrated at the workshop in the past.

As in previous years, the group was electrified by experts like Ross
Gelbspan, (whose newest offering, Boiling Point, was released in July);
engaged by small informational breakout and q-&-a sessions; and
challenged to present their ideas to peers for critique and
brainstorming.

 Ross Gelbspan
photo<http://www.cleanair-coolplanet.org/images/ti_ross.jpg>

 Eban Goodstein
photo<http://www.cleanair-coolplanet.org/images/ti_eban.jpg>

 Prof. Stone
Photo<http://www.cleanair-coolplanet.org/images/ti_stone.jpg>

Journalist Ross Gelbspan (left) and Green House Network Executive
Director Eban Goodstein (middle) get folks motivated; MIT's Dr. Peter
Stone (right) gives a lesson in the use of climate models.

Attendees this year had some unique experiences as well. For starters,
we were often ON CAMERA, thanks to the film artists Judith Helfand and
Dan Gold, makers of the award-winning Blue Vinyl
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=j7ml97n6.0.kogmf6n6.sgy95rn6.238&p=http%3A%2F%2
Fwww.bluevinyl.org%2F>  and the upcoming global warming "toxicomedy"
Melting Planet
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=j7ml97n6.0.logmf6n6.sgy95rn6.238&p=http%3A%2F%2
Fwww.meltingplanet.org%2F> . They joined us for the entire weekend,
intrepidly gathering potential movie material, and inspiring (among
other things) our wrap-up MAKE ME CARE session, challenging everyone to
give a compelling "elevator-speech"-that difficult but crucial
two-minute-or-less case for global warming action-for the cameras.

 Roger Stephenson
photo<http://www.cleanair-coolplanet.org/images/ti_roger.jpg>

 Judy, Dan & Eban
photo<http://www.cleanair-coolplanet.org/images/ti_judy_dan_eban.jpg>

 Filming photo<http://www.cleanair-coolplanet.org/images/ti_filming.jpg>

Roger Stephenson (top left) cuts to the chase: Only 10 weeks 'til
elections. Melting Planet film-makers (top right, with Eban Goodstein)
Dan Gold and Judith Helfand bring an added level of energy and direction
to the weekend's activities, and have folks smiling for the cameras
(bottom photo).

The context of this year's workshop was also unique: given the upcoming
election, activism in the political arena was an inevitable focus of the
group's time and discussion.

The political will of the group, the heightened creative energy sparked
by the movie-makers, and the depth of expertise brought to bear on the
subject from many sectors and locales, all added up to a tightly focused
and wonderfully exciting workshop - and a remarkable commitment on the
part of everyone there to "walk their talk" in the weeks and months
following our gathering.

 <http://www.cleanair-coolplanet.org/images/ti_angela_susan.jpg>

 Charles and matt
photo<http://www.cleanair-coolplanet.org/images/ti_charles_matt.jpg>

No matter their background, activists shared a spirit of commitment.

Offered by our workshop participants, the box below contains a look at
what some of you and your fellow climate activists are up to these days.

Getting the sense yet that you're not alone? Let us know what YOU'VE
been doing to "fight the good fight," so we can spread the word! Our
message is getting out there, featured prominently in Fortune
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=j7ml97n6.0.mogmf6n6.sgy95rn6.238&p=http%3A%2F%2
Fwww.cleanair-coolplanet.org%2Finformation%2Fpdf%2FFortune_8_04.pdf> ,
Business Week
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=j7ml97n6.0.nogmf6n6.sgy95rn6.238&p=http%3A%2F%2
Fwww.businessweek.com%3A%2Fprint%2Fmagazine%2Fcontent%2F04_33%2Fb3896001
_mz001.htm%3Fmz> , National Geographic
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=j7ml97n6.0.oogmf6n6.sgy95rn6.238&p=http%3A%2F%2
Fmagma.nationalgeographic.com%2Fngm%2F0409%2Ffeature1%2Findex.html> ,
all in the past several months. With only 18 days to go, now is the time
to press forward-up to the November elections and, of course, beyond...

-Jennifer Schroeder

I have 2 voter registration booths planned and working on more! I also
have one confirmed talk to the Aveda Institute on "Carb Counting"
followed up with voter registration. These are young future hair
dressers and their clients, a perfect opportunity to get out the vote! I
have 2 more tentative global warming talks scheduled for October and
beyond. - Gigi, MN

  _____

[Since the July training] I have spoken with at least one new person a
day about global warming and entered into conversations about what
candidates and office holders are proposing to do about it. I still find
myself sometimes feeling awkward, but each time more engaged. I'm
participating in Clean Power Now (working to get a wind farm on Cape
Cod). - Susan B., MA

  _____

Aside from a month in a New Hampshire [spent campaigning for the]
Kerry-Edwards campaign, I went to a NYC Kerry-Edwards meeting, to get
materials to sign up for a registration effort here in town. I'll begin
scheduling global warming talks after election. - Charles, NY

  _____

I had a great talk in New Hampshire for a group of craft ladies...[it]
definitely challenged me, but it was really good and lots came up that
will effect their Nov. votes. - Susan O., MA

  _____

My commitment is as follows: Campaign in Ohio (my home state) and
Florida (My daughter's home state); Speak to church groups (including
Pentacostal churches), Rotary Clubs, and congresspeople. - Jane, MA

  _____

1. Submit our proposal to a major potential funder: "What Works? Sharing
Information and Building Networks for the New Climate Movement" 2.
Submit a new paper, to the journal Action Research: "From Civic
Engagement to Social Movement: How Action Researchers Can Push Climate
Change Activism towards a 'Tipping Point." - Jon and Sissel, VT and CA

  _____

I [gave] a presentation...at the end of August in a state-wide Cities
for Climate Protection meeting where I [spoke] about Stamford's action
plan. In addition, politically, I plan to get involved with students
campaigning for Kerry. I am also attempting to set up a meeting between
Fordham faculty and/or administration with Ned [Raynolds] of CA-CP to
work with the school to make it a campus for climate action. - Kim,
MA/NY

  _____

I've wrapped up a huge petition drive to get on the ballot a law making
it mandatory for large providers of retail electrical service to include
an increasing percentage of energy from renewable sources. In August, I
[gave] my now-perfected talk to...a gathering in Crestone. The little
community center was packed to capacity, and about twenty people stayed
after to talk. For a first experience, I felt completely comfortable
with the questions. I'm hooked for life on doing this, that's for sure.-
Nicole, CO

  _____

On July 28 I did an interview for UMASS radio WMUA on GW and Green
Electricity. I plan to do follow-up interviews, more on global warming,
and to explore other progressive radio shows. Also: Send email to
friends and family about my work as a "stop GW" messenger, naming some
actions they can take immediately to have an impact; talk to my nephew
Todd about the importance of acting now against GW...working for an
environmental group instead of staying in corporate culture to make more
money; work on Kerry Campaign in NH with my mother; discuss with CACP
how to get Northampton paying attention to their membership in the ICLEI
project; organize to do a series of community access TV shows on Global
Warming and what we can do about it; figure out how to take the tapes to
other communities. I [organized] a display on technologies (Hybrid car,
green electricity, wind, solar) that offset GW at a large community
block party on September 11.... - Peggy, MA

  _____

1) I hope to make a short presentation to my neighbors in the beach
community (Mattapoisett) where I have a house close to the water. Right
now I'm a couple hundred yards back, but expect my son to have beach
front property. 2) I [made] the 'big' pitch as part of a seminar series
at a Yoga center here in Franklin, October 1st...It went great, I had
about 13 people and an invite to come back and do it again in January.
3) I am putting a video about wind power on my local cable access.The
rest of the time this fall, I will devote to settling a small matter
with G.W. Bush. - Ted, MA

  _____

I have scheduled my first talk on Global Warming at Berkshire Community
college for this fall. Climate Crisis Coalition (CCC) [had] an
informational/sign up for action table at the Green Festival in
Washington DC, Sept 18th, and...a street vigil there as well. - Tom, MA
(CCC Director)

  _____

Copyright (c)2002 Clean Air-Cool Planet. All rights reserved.

Forward email
<http://ccprod.roving.com/roving/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1010993815762&ea=dsachs@c
crpcvt.org&a=1011358217097>

<http://ccprod.roving.com/roving/d.jsp?p=un&m=1010993815762&ea=dsachs@cc
rpcvt.org&t=1011358217097>

This email was sent to [log in to unmask], by
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Update Profile/Email Address
<http://ccprod.roving.com/roving/d.jsp?p=oo&m=1010993815762&ea=dsachs@cc
rpcvt.org&t=1011358217097>  | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe
<http://ccprod.roving.com/roving/d.jsp?p=un&m=1010993815762&ea=dsachs@cc
rpcvt.org&t=1011358217097> (tm) | Privacy Policy
<http://ccprod.roving.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp> .