     Sadly, I just arrived at work after spending about 30 minutes at
Charlotte Town Beach.  If you can get down to the lake this morning
and you have a spotting scope, I strongly encourage you to do
so--there are hundreds and hundreds of scoters moving down Lake
Champlain on the moderate north winds.
     A fellow birder named JoAnne and I saw the following birds during my
brief time at CTB:
150+ WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS
500+ dark-winged scoters--I believe that the overwhelming majority of
these birds were BLACK SCOTERS, but we did pick out one adult male SURF
SCOTER; generally these birds were too far away to get 100% definitive
looks

Some of the dark-winged scoters did settle on the water, although you
really have to look carefully in order to find them in amongst the waves.

At the small spit near the covered bridge:
1 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER
2 SANDERLINGS--juveniles
3 DUNLIN
4 KILLDEER

There were also small numbers of BONAPARTE'S GULLS seen out over the lake.
 I look forward to hearing about what others see today!

Good birding!
Matt Medler
Charlotte