On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:49:14 -0400, Matthew Kulas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:29:58 -0400, Michael Bernstein
><[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>  And then what about the barrage of beers, balls, and
>> other objects that followed?
>
>And, how is this any different from throwing Octopii, pennies and hats
>onto a hockey rink (all long-standing traditions)?  The fans are so
>drunk, they can't throw those batteries THAT hard.

Those actions, save for the penny throwing, are traditional celebrations of
notable achievements.  Last night was another story entirely.  And,
contrary to the PR you've read here, I personally witnessed numerous items
thrown specifically at the umpires.  Many were thrown from Section 16 where
I was sitting.  I find ironic how the strident (and currently nervous)
Yankees fans on this board go out of their way to defend what happened last
night while those very same people would have a fit if this happened at
Fenway.  Quite simply, it's unacceptable in any stadium.