Marc Guido [[log in to unmask]] rises to the bait(fishin'
should be so easy! :-) ) with:

>>Estimates are that as many as 1/3 of all insurance claims are
>>fraudulent.
>>
>>Source?
>>
>>And the percentage of fraudlent insurance claims paid is...???
>>
>>Estimates are that 97.3% of statistics are made up on the spot. (eg.
see
>>above.)
>>
>>Not a credible figure.
>
>How can you say that it's not credible without having any foundation
>whatsoever for accusing it of being not credible, other than your own
>speculation?

Uh, gee Marc, d'ya think it had anything to do with your unsupported
claim with suspciciously round numbers citing nothin' but the wind
blowin' outta yer pants?  If you're gonna pull it out of your ssa, I'll
challenge it on equal terms, no need to cite sources just to say "Bull
tihs!" ('specially when it just stinks! :-) )

> You want a cite?

Exactamente! Isn't that what the question mark at the end of "Sources?"
means, in 'merican?

>"More than one of every three bodily-injury claims from car crashes
involve >fraud." Insurance Research Council (1996)

Thank you!

Now, I wouldn't want to accuse anybody of cherry pickin' for sources &
stats to support your figure, but " bodily-injury claims from car
crashes" is somewhat narrowly focused, and a notoriously "worst case"
example of an sector where criminal fraud is rampant (particularly in
low-rent cities in MA.) Fraudulent claims in medical malpractice cases
are probably much lower, and in legal malpractice cases lower still.
Find me the source that says that 1/3 of all bodily injury claims
against ski lift operators are fraudulent (or any number, for that
matter), which might be A: On topic and B: interesting in it's own
right.

Bodily-injury claims from car crashes is not likely to be a
representative average of all tort claims paid by insurers/defendants,
which seemed to be what you meant by "Estimates are that as many as 1/3
of all insurance claims are fraudulent." Find me the source that says
that 1/3 of all bodily injury claims against ski lift operators are
fraudulent (or any number, for that matter.) My source? Pulled it outta
my ssa, just like you! (But it's always been a smart ssa, and I trust it
implicitly! :-) )

>"17-20 cents of every dollar paid for bodily injury claims from auto
>policies involves fraud or claim buildup." Insurance Research Council
>(1996).

Which only makes my case: Even if/when fraudulent claims get made,
they're not all paid, otherwise that 33.3% fraud number would likely
translate into something like 33 cents on the dollar paid. Either that,
or they're including any contested portion of otherwise legitimate
damages as part of the 1/3 of "fraudulent" cases, even when the
contested "build up" is a small fraction of the total.

None of your other cites have any bearing whatsoever on the previously
unsupported "1/3 of all insurance claims" statement, interesting though
they might be. You can do better... I know y'can, c'mon now!  Find me
the aggregetate number of "all insurance claims" from multiple and
separate sources, and I might buy into it, but for now it still still
smells like you're belly-deep in it- grab a shovel!

(Ahh... now that feels better. Not as good as a good dump o' snow
though.)

Back to trollin', trollin', trollin...

... head 'em up, move 'em out...

dana