>most degenerate, most despicable, most unsportsmanlike
>thing you've ever witnessed in a professional sports game

Not even close.  I think we all can think of many worse displays (think
of just about any baseball bench clearing brawl).  And it sure seems
like the umps made the right call.

I'm not a rules expert by any stretch.  Anyone care to enlighten me as
to what would have happened if A-Rod stayed on the base line, and ran
right over/into the guy, and he dropped the ball, instead of stepping
out of the line and batting the ball away?

What if he stayed in the base line, and dropped a shoulder as he ran
into him?

Just curious

(obligatory ski content - this weekend is the Okemo refresher.  I get on
the 5:50 PM out of Frankfurt, land in Boston at 8:30 PM and drive to VT.
Saturday and Sunday I get refreshed, if I'm awake ;^).  Point is, its
getting close... )

Brad