An issue related to Rebecca Zakoor posting: user fees for electronic resources in teaching hospital library 11/18/04

The issue of access to electronic resources is an interesting aspect of the hospital / academic center affiliation.  Pre-digital world, the hospital library provided onsite access to paper materials for both the staff affiliated with the academic center (often doctors, residents, medical students) and the hospital staff (often nurses, pharmacists, physical therapists, dieticians and other allied health and administrators).  In the digital world, affiliates often have immediate access to all the academic centers resources. They have far more resources than could have been offered in the hospital library. This may be one of the reasons we are seeing hospital library down-sizing or elimination.  Meanwhile hospital employees, (nurses and other allied health employees) may be blocked from access to the academic center library since they are not academic center employees. Their access to paper resources and now electronic resources may be far less creating two-tiered access to inf
ormation.  An unintended consequence of digital access?  I would be interested whether others have seen this happen and discussion.

Susan Klimley
Director, Health Sciences Library
Elmhurst Hospital Center, Elmhurst NY
718-334-2040