This is what happens here, too.  Students and Residents have  codes and
direct access to the Medical School Library, with a rather rich
resources.  However, only Medical Staff who are officially "teaching
faculty" get such access.  SO we have a rather large population of
"others", and for those we provide Hospital networked databases and full
text journals online to the limit of our budget.  That does not say
much, exp. when prices go up and budgets do not (or shrink).  The
Medical School Library, however, does not maintain a Nursing collection,
and ours is a much better one.  The Librarians have free access to the
Medical School Library, and we act as the supplier.  Instead of going
online to Docline, we access the Medical School and print what is needed
and available. Since no one library has "everything", Docline fills the
gap for the remaining materials, which is still considerable.  Not as
much as it used to be, but still respectable.  I have not faced serious
cutbacks, and hope this situation "holds" for the near future.

 So I guess the responsibility to fill this information gap is simply
that of the Hospital Library. It is nothing new - it has always been
that way, the "haves" had their own libraries and the "have not" used
the public library if and when it was available.  The hard task is
convincing the "powers" of the consequences of this gap and of the need.
And the need should be real, even if it is in forms of "testimonials"
from users.  The Librarian needs to make sure that the underserved are
aware of the library services, and use the library.  The reality has to
penetrate into the minds of all those "others" that if you don't see it,
it is nevertheless available.  Maybe all of us need to adopt the "please
bother us" and "we will get you anything (almost)" stance.  I have had
physicians, nurses and others apologize by saying "oh, but I did not
want to bother you..."  My response is always "Please bother us - we are
here to BE bothered".

If you were looking for simple answers, there aren't any.

Dalia Kleinmuntz
Webster Library, Evanston hospital/ENH