I had first generation capilene that was about 10 years old.  Last year I
replaced it all with new capilene.  I was astounded at the difference.
The new stuff has a weave that creates air spaces in the fabric.  This
both insulates very well and passes moisture out very well.  A midweight
capilene shirt with a Marmot driclime shirt as the second layer, then a
shell works great and has a very wide temperature/comfort range.  I wear
lycra running shorts as a base bottom layer, then snug fleece pants, then
scholler pants (I like MEC's in house brand).  The new stuff is less prone
to picking up odors.  However I have very little problem with B.O. anyway.
 Other people have a B.O. problem.  Many of them need to get new underwear
once a week.  Something really needs to be done about these folks stinking
up trams and gondolas.