I too have the Pentax Optio 4si.  There is also a "4s" but doesn't have all
the features.  Also the 4s get most of the reviews so if you read online
reviews make sure they are talking about the 4si not the 4s.

There is now a 5si.

As for shutter lag. I got used to hitting the button a little earlier than
with a regular film camera for an action shot.  It's the "second" picture
which gets fustrating.  The lag between taking one pictures to taking
another picture is an important one. And slow. If you try to take a second
picture and press the button too soon the camera gets confused and does
nothing.  You then have to release the button and wait for a second then
try again.

One feature I like about the 4si is the size.  Not too tiny to hold it, but
it fits in almost any pocket.  There are also many settings for surf and
snow, sunset, text, flowers, food, night, etc.

I get about 170 pictures on a 512 memory card.  That's enough to practice
and get used to getting the action shots.

I would not recommend putting it in an Altoids tin, the screen on the back
can get scratched.

Currently my 4si is in for repair.  I was in the lodge at Killington then
rode up to the top, turned it on, and the screen shattered from the
inside.  Good thing I got the extended warrrenty that covers damage from
heat and cold.