After reading a few replies, it is obvious that many of you don't
understand the importance of fashion in skiing. Allow me to enlighten you.

 We are NOTHING if we are not well dressed in the highest tech, highest
fashion clothes for winter sports like skiing. Let us leave the obvious
practical considerations of weather proofness aside for now and explore the
cultural ramifications of this issue. Football jackets, camo suits, green
plaid wool farmer overalls, NASCAR gear, or Charharts are fine for 'biling
or cattle rustling, but not OK for skiing.

This is not just my opinion. History teaches the same. When Harriman opened
Sun Valley, or when Stowe began, it wasn't meant for working class
proletarians to clutter the slopes. The ski trains that left NYC for the
hills of VT were not filled with working people. Skiing was made for
persons of quality, and what better or easier way to know who is who than
by the clothes they wear?

Fast forward to 2004. Fashion is even more important in skiing than in the
1930's and 1940's. Why more important, you ask? For the same reasons as
above, but also for the added reason that we must have a way to distinguish
ourselves from the gaper, gomer, tourist, wannabe, flounder, and beginner
skier or boarder.

Skill is one way to distinguish, you say? That is true, but skill is
unknowable in the slopeside bar, the internet forum, or the liftline.
Hence, the utility of fashion and those who set the trends in fashion in
determining who is "in" and who is "out."

Those lost skiers from PA wearing football jackets epitomize this
philosophy. It doesn't take a genius to understand that they were gomers,
gapers and losers, and not just because they skied off into the unknown
wearing the wrong clothes. From my observations watching the news last
night, they got lost without any STYLE to their misadventure--and likely
were on rental gear too. They and their football jackets belong somewhere
else--prehaps a football stadium, a mountain in PA or southern NY,but not a
cold lonely majestic VT mountain in the dark.