On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 00:27 -0500, Tom Moore wrote:

> Check out http://www.dpreview.com which is my bible for digital
> photography.

That's a good site. http://www.steves-digicams.com/ is another good site
for digital camera info.

> Regarding the lag, used to be a big problem for many of the higher end
> cameras, at least, the lag has essentially disappeared.

Really? It's been a while since I used a new digital point-and-shoot
camera, but I hadn't heard anything about this. Every P&S I've known
has had horrible shutter lag. It's a result of how long it takes the
camera to autofocus. The solution is to prefocus on a spot, and then
hold the shutter release halfway until the subject gets to that
spot. Personally, I find it a pain, and useless for things like
shooting soccer games or fast skiers.

I've only known three solutions for dealing with shutter lag:
1. Live with it and get used to prefocusing.
2. Get a big, heavy, expensive digital SLR (which have gotten shutter
lag down to manageable levels, on the order of 100 ms, vs. 750 ms for
P&S cameras).
3. Get a cheap, good-quality pocket film camera.

I usually recommend #3. In fact, having just gotten one for my
daughter, I've had so much fun with it I'm looking at one for
myself. Contrary to popular belief, the rumors of the death of film
cameras have been greatly exagerated. The near absence of shutter lag
is just one reason why.

I'll have to do more research into the latest P&S digital cameras. If
they have solved the shutter lag problem, it would be a huge and
welcome development IMHO.

Getting back to Denis's original question, I've seen a few pretty tiny
cameras out there. Canon makes a bunch of tiny ones, but the smallest
I've seen has been Chris Goodrich's little Minolta (now Konica
Minolta); I don't remember the model, though. And I just read
something about Casio coming out with the world's smallest digital
camera, which is supposed to be about the size of a credit
card. Personally, if I were looking at a pocket camera, once it was
small enough to fit into my pocket I would switch the criteria to
other factors, like lens quality, zoom range, etc.

Dave G.