Hi all,
Just a quick note to say hello from the desert.  All
here is OK, getting used to a whole new way of life
out here.  I have been following the upcoming
elections in Iraq pretty closely and have come to the
conclusion that poll workers at home should never
again complain about whats being served for lunch.
Its really pretty amazing to watch some of this, most
areas are up and ready to go with no problems but in
some places, the election workers are being assinated,
bombed, kidnapped, etc.  The amazing thing is people
are still volunteering to be a part of the process.
It will be interesting to see how things unfold on the
30th.
I am starting to get used to living in the desert.  I
have discovered that eating an ice cream cone outside
during a sand storm does not work.  Toothpaste also
attracts sand on a windy day (our sinks are all
outside) and it is better to use the port-a-potties
within 10 minutes of them being cleaned (usually
between 9:15 and 9:30 in my area).
My new job is pretty good as jobs go out here.  I am
on the Quick Response Force.  That just means I get to
ride around in humvees doing roving patrols of the
outer perimeter and inner perimeter.  Pretty much we
check fences, berms, guard towers to make sure the
guards are awake and alert, we also provide security
for incoming convoys and general stuff like that. And
respond to any threats at the entry control point.
Yesterday we did come upon an unexploded ordinance
(UXO) - we guarded it until the bomb disposal guys
could blow it up.  Fortunately things have been pretty
uneventful for us.  Our shift is 24 hours, generally
12 hours of patrol and 12 hours of stand-by.  I just
came off a little while ago.  My squad has patrol on
the night shift (7 PM till 7 AM).  Have seen some
pretty awesome sunrises and sunsets on this shift.
Well, I have to go as there is a line forming here at
the cyber center.
Good luck with the upcoming town reports and town
meeting.
Bye for now
Deb