The following message is directed to Town Clerks who process Vermont
birth certificates:

Update to Town Clerks Regarding Birth Certificates
At this past fall's municipal officers' meetings, the Vital Records
Office from the Health Department presented to town clerks the changes
planned for Birth Certificates. Town clerks were updated on changes
occurring to the appearance and printing method of the certificates. The
original plan was for those changes to go live on January 1st of this
year. However, that implementation has been delayed.
The Health Department is working with hospitals to finalize changes to
the Birth Certificate and printing method. In addition, the passage of
the Intelligence Reform Law may affect some of our final decisions
regarding form and appearance of the official Birth Certificate. For
these reasons, we are delaying the implementation of the new certificate
until later in 2005. A new implementation date has not yet been chosen,
but it is likely to be either summer or fall this year.
We apologize for any confusion. You should continue to accept and
process the standard birth certificate as normal. If you have any
questions, please feel free to contact Linda Davis at 802-863-7275. We
will send out further updates, including a new implementation date, in
the spring and summer of 2005.
Rich McCoy
Public Health Statistics Chief
Vermont Department of Health