The problem with this early-ish NY Times report is that the only fires,
contrary to the NY Times report, were, as of 3 pm, small  ones on the
7th and 12th floors and seemingly containable. The much-awaited
FEMA report, which came later, expressly concluded: "The specifics of
the fires in WTC 7 and how they caused the building to collapse remain
unknown at this time."

The report also says -- contravening the earlier Times article -- that the
fuel tanks were intact and not compromised.

You can read the report for yourself at
http://www.fema.gov/library/wtcstudy.shtm

In a September 2002 PBS documentary called "America Rebuilds," the
owner of the World Trade Center complex, Larry Silverstein, who had
bought the entire complex a short time before the attacks, stated in
reference to WTC 7:

"I remember getting a call from the, er, fire department commander,
telling me that they were not sure they were gonna be able to contain
the fire, and I said, "Weve had such terrible loss of life, maybe the
smartest thing to do is pull it. And they made that decision to pull and
we watched the building collapse."

If, as Silverstein said, he decided to "pull" the building, how did they
manage to rig explosives in a matter of hours that would successfully
and safely take down a 47-story building amidst the chaos of 9-11,
endagering rescue workers and equipment? Could explosives be
bought (and from whom? Where is the paper trail, the order receipts,
etc.?), brought to the location and carefully put into place within a
couple of hours on the afternoon of September 11, 2001, and the
47-story building safely "pulled" at that time? If not, then the explosives
would have had to have been in place for such an eventuality prior to
9-11.

And, if explosives had been placed in that building beforehand, might
they have also been placed at a prior time in the Towers as well?

Silverstein Properties' estimated investment in WTC 7 alone was $386
million. In February of 2002, Silverstein Properties won $861 million
from Industrial Risk Insurers to rebuild on the site of WTC 7. This one
building's collapse resulted in a profit for the owner of about $500
million.

Mitchel Cohen